Zesty Zucchini Pickles
photo by Bergy
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
6 1 cups
- 10 cups zucchini, 1/4 slices on a diagonal
- 1 large onion, peeled, halved and sliced
- 6 red jalapenos, sliced into strips
- 1⁄2 cup pickling salt
- 6 cups white vinegar
- 4 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon dill seed
- 1 teaspoon lovage seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chipotle chile, flakes (optional)
- In a large stainless steel bowl layer the first 3 ingredients sprinkle all the salt on the veggies. Top with cold water and set aside for 2-3 hours.
- Drain into a colander and rinse well under running cold water.Drain well.
- In a large stainless steel pot add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil stirring to dissolve sugar. Gentle boil for 10 minutes. Cover and let infuse for 1 hour.
- Prep your jars I used 6 - 8 ounce jars. And prepare the water bath.
- Bring the infused vinegar to a boil.
- Add the drained veggies bring to a boil and for 5 minutes.
- Pack into jars leaving 1/2 head space.
- Remove air bubbles and ladle the hot liquid to leave 1/2 inch head space.
- Wipe rims clean and top with lids and bands. screw to finger tip tight.
- Place jars in boiling water bath with at least 1 inch covering the jars.
- Bring back to a boil , cover and boil for 15 minutes.
- Turn of flame remove lid and rest for 5 minutes.
- Remove jars without tipping and place in a draft free place till cool.
- Remove bands and store in a cool dark place.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!