Zesty Citrus Chicken
photo by Dreamer in Ontario
- Ready In:
- 6 limes
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
- 6 (6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup coconut flour (about 1 ounce) or 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 ounce)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- cooking spray
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 12 thin orange slices
- Grate rind from limes, reserving 2 tablespoons rind; set aside. Squeeze juice from limes to equal 3/4 cup.
- Combine lime juice, lemon juice, and chicken in a large zip-top plastic bag. Seal and marinate in refrigerator 2 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove chicken from bag, reserving 2 tablespoons marinade. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, paprika, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in flour mixture. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add 3 chicken breast halves; cook 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Place chicken in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and chicken.
- Combine lime rind and brown sugar; sprinkle over chicken. Combine reserved marinade and broth; drizzle around chicken. Top each chicken breast half with 2 orange slices. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until chicken is done. Place chicken on a serving platter. Strain any remaining liquid in dish through a fine mesh sieve over a bowl. Discard solids. Spoon sauce over chicken.
Questions & Replies
For the Zesty Citrus Chicken that calls to zest 6 limes and then "reserve" 2 Tablespoons of the rind, what are we supposed to do with the rest of the zest? The only instruction for using the zest says to combine it with the brown sugar, but I am unsure if that is the 2 Tablespoons or the remaining pile of zest.
This goes straight into my favourites cookbook. Delicious! I marinated the chicken in a casserole dish rather than in a plastic bag. I also forgot to add the broth. Other than that the recipe was followed exactly right down to using coconut flour which I found at Bulk Barn. The citrus flavour was wonderful. Thanks for posting this recipe.
I usually [but not always!] stay away from recipes that include the terms 'strain' or 'sieve!' Am glad I didn't with this one, however, since this recipe gave me a delicious, citrusy chicken dish! Guests loved it, & so did I! The next time around I want to ferret out some coconut flour to use! Thanks for this winning recipe!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Canadian girl that loves to cook for herself and for everyone around her!! I always enjoyed cooking but more so since I started taking better care of myself by eating healthier food (I am a Weight Watchers Lifetime member!). I still love my chocolate though! <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1956/samethingsticker.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1956/SoupsandsaladSTICKER.jpg"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/PastastickerJPEG.jpg"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/derf16/food%20photography%20series/MuffinLovesticker.jpg"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/Other/photo-swap-7sticky.jpg"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1956/L%5B1%5D.F-stickJPEG.jpg"> <img src="http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/marienixon_715/kittencaljpg.jpg"> <img src="http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/484938/Spelling-Bee-stick2jpg.jpg"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Octoberevent.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/TasteofYellow.jpg"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1535/CLC1.gif"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Derfcookathon.jpg">