Yummy Raisin Tea Biscuits - No Sugar Added
This recipe came from one of my wonderful Canadian girl friends - it's so quick and easy and these are great for quick company stopping in for a cuppa. Freeze well and give you that home-made feeling without a lot of fuss. (I 1/2'd the salt as per recommend - I think when I traded the sugar for Splenda it probably didn't counteract the salt as well)
- Ready In:
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 -6 tablespoons Splenda granular
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cold
- 3⁄4 cup milk, cold
- 1 cup raisins (I soak them in hot water so they are moist after baking. Also works well with Craisins or currents)
- Pre-heat oven to 450*.
- Soak raisins in hot water so they are moist for baking.
- Mix first five ingredients, cut in butter until it is pea sized.
- Add milk, stir to combine (don't over mix), dough will come together when kneaded.
- Drain raisins and stir until combined.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface, knead 8-10 times.
- Roll to 3/4" thickness, cut with biscuit cutter. 2" cutter makes 15 biscuits.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with splenda (or sugar).
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 12-15 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Did not like these at all. I am a great baker and these look nothing like your picture. You also say in your instructions to mix the first 5 ingredients which are the white flour, whole wheat flour, Splenda, salt and baking powder. What happened to the cream of tarter? Not mentioned at all in your recipe. They also have an after taste, probably from the Splenda.Reply