Yummy Lamb Stifado
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 20mins
- 2 -3 lamb shanks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 250 ml red wine
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 (400 g) tin of italian chopped tomatoes
- 1 (200 g) box passata
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 stalks fresh rosemary (or 2tsps dried)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon clear honey
- feta, crumbled on top to serve
- Preheat oven to 140 - 150oc (the lower the temperature and the longer you cook the Lamb the more tender it will be).
- In a large saucepan pour enough olive oil to cover the base of the pan. On a low heat, add the finely chopped onion and garlic and sweat for a few minutes
- Once the onions are softened add the tinned tomatos, passata, red wine, vinegar,bay leaves, herbs, spices, and salt and pepper and turn up the heat to medium.
- Once sauce is bubbling, add the honey. Turn heat down and leave to simmer uncovered.
- Whilst the sauce is simmering, brown the Lamb shanks on all sides in a dry frying pan on a high heat.
- Place the Lamb in a large casserole dish and pour the sauce over.
- Cover the casserole dish and place into the oven for 2 1/2 - 3 hours, turning Lamb every 30 - 40 minutes.
- Once the meat is falling off the bone, remove the Lamb from the dish and cut into chunks (the Lamb will be so tender you could do this with a spoon).
- Return the Lamb to the dish and remove bay leaves. Cook for a further 20 - 30 minutes.
- Crumble feta over the Lamb to serve.
- YUMMY! ;-).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!