Yummy Cream of Broccoli Soup
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth or 5 cups vegetable broth
- 8 -9 cups broccoli florets, stems & pieces discarding any hard parts
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk or 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- ground black pepper
- Melt 2 Tbs margarine in medium-size stock pot.
- Add onions, celery, and garlic. Sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add broth and broccoli; bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool about 20 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor purée entire broccoli mix.
- Return mixture to pot and keep warm.
- In a small sauce pan met 3 Tbs margarine.
- Add flour; blend well.
- Add milk; stir until thick and bubbly and then add to soup.
- Stir and season with pepper.
- Serves 8.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
"VERY" yummy! 2 things I did differently. 1. I added the celery, onion and garlic to "3" TBL of butter and omitted it at the end. Added the broth and broccoli and simmered 5 min.I wisked 5 TBL of flour to 3 cups of milk and then added to soup. Brought it to a boil, then simmered for 5 or so minutes till broccoli was tender and flour was cooked. 2. I also did not puree the vegetables. I prefer having the pieces of broccoli in the soup. Delicious... Thank You!
I thought this soup might be bland, but was pleasantly surprised. It is wonderful in its simplicity and needs nothing more than good chicken stock (I used my homemade broth) and lots of freshly ground black pepper to make it special. I only needed to cook the broccoli for 15 minutes. Thank you for this basic but tasty recipe.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in upstate New York (The beautiful Hudson Valley)(Orange/Ulster County)I love to cook, and enjoy watching people enjoy my creations. I love to try different recipes and like trying ones with ingredients or type of cooking most wouldn't think of trying.