Yummy Biloxi Seafood Gumbo
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
- 4 pieces bacon
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon of louisiana cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco jalapeno sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 64 ounces frozen okra (thawed)
- 1 lb sirloin steak, finely sliced into chunks
- 1 sausage, quartered
- 1 ham steak, sliced into cubes
- 20 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cans chicken broth (about 24 ounces total)
- 1 -2 lb of uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb crabmeat (optional)
- 2 cups rice (optional)
- In a large Dutch oven pot, fry the bacon until crispy.
- Remove bacon and set aside.
- In the bacon grease, fry down and Onion, celery, Bell-pepper, and garlic.
- Add salt, pepper, thyme, Cajun seasoning, white pepper, Tabasco, and garlic salt.
- Cook until reduced.
- About 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, go through all of your thawed frozen okra and remove the hard okra tops.
- Add your cornstarch to your onion mixture and stir to remove any lumps.
- Stir until nice and thick.
- Add your okra to the pot and simmer on low heat until all the slime is gone.
- (1 ½-2 hours).
- Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Fry your sausage in a separate skillet and drain.
- Take a hand mixer and mix the okra mixture until all the okra is broken up into small pieces.
- Add sirloin steak, ham, sausage, tomato sauce, and chicken broth.
- Stir well and let simmer on low heat for another hour.
- Be very careful not to burn.
- Add shrimp and crab meat (cook for 30 more minutes until fishy smell is gone and shrimp is thoroughly cooked) Serve over rice (or alone if you can't eat rice).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Not giving this a rating yet, I was very caught up in all of your ingredients and it looked like a potential winner ... except, no Roux? 30 minutes to cook shrimp, they will come out rubbery - this needs a little more work to make this recipe better. Deslimed okra - PERFECT, it's what needs to be done. No corn starch as a thickener though - that's where the roux comes in. Steak and ham really don't belong in a seafood gumbo either. We can excuse the bacon and hopefully the andouille sausage for additional flavor... I was all ready to make this until I took a closer look, darnit.