Youvarelakia Soupa Avgolemono (meat-rice Soup) "
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
A very authentic greek soup
- Ready In:
- 1 1 lb ground veal or 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (optional)
- 6 tablespoons raw long-grain white rice
- chopped fresh parsley
- 2 2 tablespoons mint or 2 tablespoons basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon thyme
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 eggs
- 5 cups water or 5 cups stock
- 1 onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 lemon, juice of (or more)
- In a large bowl, combine the meat, grated onion, garlic, rice, 3 tablespoons chopped parsley, the mint, oregano, salt and pepper, and 1 egg, slightly beaten.
- Knead for a few minutes, then shape into walnut- sized balls and set aside.
- In a soup pot, bring the water or stock to boil with the chopped onion, salt and pepper to taste.
- Lower the heat and add the meat-rice balls.
- Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- To prepare avgolemono, beat the two remaining eggs for 2 minutes.
- Continuing to beat, gradually add the lemon juice.
- Then add 1 cup of the hot broth by droplets, beating steadily, until all has been added.
- Add to the soup and heat, being careful not to let it boil.
- Serve hot, garnished with parsley.
- Also, you may enjoy this soup without avgolemono, in which case add 1/2 cup canned tomato sauce to the liquid and reduce the water to 4 1/2 cups.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION