Yellow Summer Squash Soup
Delicate, creamy soup that may be served hot or cold. Perfect for a summer lunch.
- Ready In:
- 1 large Spanish onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 lbs summer squash, stem cut off and the rest coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup cream or 3/4 cup half-and-half
Herbs to snip on top of each bowl
- chervil or parsley, if desired
- Put the chopped onion, squash, and butter into a big pot and pour in the chicken broth until it is about two-thirds of the way up the vegetables. (Do not cover vegetables with the broth).
- Bring to boil and continue to boil gently for about 20 minutes.
- Take off heat and cool.
- When mixture is cool enough to handle, put it in a blender or food processor and blend.
- Return mixture to the pot and season with salt and pepper.
- Slowly stir in the cream or half-and-half. (you may use less than 3/4 cup).
- Add herbs, if desired.
- Serve hot or cold.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Superb flavor for so few ingredients. Yellow summer squash is a favorite of mine. I served this as a hot soup, but I'm quite sure it's just as wonderful served cold. I cut some calories by using fat free half and half. I chose fresh parlsey for my sering garnish. Thanx for a yummy yet simple soup!Reply