Yellow Squash With Onions and Parmesan
A simple, delicious vegetable recipe that tastes good with any grilled meat that was marinated in lemon juice. It can be done on your gas grill's side burner so you don't have to run back and forth. My family is perfectly happy with ordinary, yellow, cooking onions, but if you have Vidalias in season it will suit them very well.
- Ready In:
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 lbs yellow squash, sliced (if frozen thaw in a colander first and gently squeeze out the excess moisture so the squash will bro)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- Melt butter over medium-high heat in a large, heavy skillet. (I prefer my cast iron chicken fryer).
- Sauté onions until about half-cooked if you are using fresh squash or 3/4 cooked if using frozen squash.
- Add squash and sauté until onions are finished (soft and well-browned), and squash is just barely cooked through and beginning to brown.
- Toss with parmesan. Pass pepper grinder at the table.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I gave this 3 stars. I really liked this recipe. My future hubby just liked it. I had to add 1 tbl more butter and a little water to my onion and squash to help it cook without burning. I seasoned my squash with the fresh ground pepper before serving. Overall this was really good and I will make it again. Thanks for posting a really good recipe. Christine (internetnut)Reply
This recipe was a wonderful way to get your veggies. The simplicity of it is perfect, complimenting the squash & onions while not masking their flavors. I cut this down to a serving of one since I didn't think it would reheat so well. I used 1/2 of a yellow squash and one small onion, about 1 tsp of butter and a tsp of freshly grated parmesan. This one is a keeper!Reply