Yellow Split Pea Soup With Portuguese Smoked Linguica
photo by Potagekempcc
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 2 slices maple bacon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium maui onion (Chopped)
- 1 medium carrot (Chopped)
- 1 serrano pepper (Chopped)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (Chopped)
- 1 tablespoon winter savory (Chopped)
- 1 tablespoon thyme (Chopped)
- 1 tablespoon oregano (Chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 lb Portuguese chourico (Smoked, Sliced)
- 1⁄2 cup white wine (Portuguese, Vinho Verde)
- 5 cups ham stock
- 1 lb yellow split peas
- 3 tablespoons cilantro (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons chives (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche
- In a 5-quart Dutch Oven cook bacon crisp. Remove bacon and chop into bits. Reserve 2-tablespoons bacon grease.
- Add bay leaves, onion, carrot and Serrano pepper. Saute 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add garlic, fresh herbs, salt, celery salt, pepper, Linguica Smoked Sausage and sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Add Portuguese Wine (Vinho Verde) and reduce by one-half.
- Add ham stock, yellow split peas and bacon bits. Bring soup to a full boil and reduce to a simmer for 1-hour or until peas are done.
- The last 5-mimutes add chopped cilantro, chives and stir in crème fraiche.
- Remove the soup from stove and discard bay leaves. Puree with a hand blender or a food processor. Season soup with sea salt and white pepper to taste.
- Garnish soup with fresh chopped chives.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!