Yassa (Senegalese Lemon Chicken)
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 5mins
- 6 cups sliced onions
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 skinless chicken legs
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 cups carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup pimento stuffed olive
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 habanero pepper, pierced all over with a fork
- 4 cups hot cooked long-grain rice
- Combine first 5 ingredients; divide evenly between 2 (1-gallon) heavy-duty zip-loc plastic bags. Divide chicken evenly between bags; seal bags. Toss each bag well to coat. Refrigerate 3 hours, turning bags occasionally.
- Preheat broiler.
- Remove chicken from bags, reserving marinade. Place chicken on broiler pan coated with cooking spray; broil 6 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Strain marinade through a colander over a bowl, reserving marinade and onion. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Add reserved marinade; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute; add chicken, carrot, broth, olives, water, mustard, and Habanero pepper. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until chicken is done. Discard Habanero pepper. Serve over rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!