Yakhanit Batata (Potato Stew)
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 3 lbs potatoes
- 1 lb boneless lamb shank (or beef stew meat)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped parsley or 1/3 cup cilantro
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (optional)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (or 1 tablespoon ghee)
- oil (for frying)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary
- Put lamb shanks in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and remove all froth. Add salt and allspice. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 2 hours.
- Peel the potatoes and dice into 2cm cubes. Deep fry in canola oil and leave them on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Saute the onion. When translucent, add mined garlic and stir for a minute.
- Then add the meat and stock to the onion and stir in the potatoes.
- Season with the rest of the spices and adjust the salt. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add parsely/cilantro 3 minutes before turning the heat off. mix gently.
- Serve hot with peppered rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My Family and I moved to South Africa at the beginning of 2007 to be missionaries. My Husband is the Pastor of a church in Eden Park, a township in the Jo'burg area. We are having a great time. My kids love it (3 of them, 1 born here). We have got to do many exciting things( pet lion cubs, feed giraffes, eat Zebra(gross!)and other meats(Warthog was surprisingly the best, go figure) and swim on a beach with penguins, to name a few). I have always loved to bake but just got into cooking since moving over here. There were a lot of things I couldn't find over here(and still can't) that we were wanting so I started searching for good recipes for everything from sausage, salad dressing and root beer,to enchilada sauce, Macayo's baja sauce(posted), and Applebees hot wings! A fellow missionary turned me on to this site and My husband got me a membership for this last birthday. I am loving it!