Xalwa - Somalian Halwa
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- Mix together the cornflour and 250ml water to form a smooth paste (whisk vigourously to make the batter smooth).
- Mix the 1.5 lt water with the sugar in a large pot until the sugar dissolves then add the cardamom powder and gradually stir-in the cornflour mixture and the ghee. Mix thoroughly until everything combines.
- Heat on medium heat, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon for the first 20 minutes. After that go back every 10 minutes or so to stir.
- Keep cooking for about 3 hours, until the mixture thickens and the ghee separates out. Pour the ghee from the pan, put the xalwa (also known as halwa) in a separate pan and decorate with peanuts and sesame seeds.
- When cooled slice with a wet knife. Wrap in cellophane or waxed paper.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Recently relocated to Queensland, warmer seas for sailing and fishing. Aside from cooking for my family I do cake decorating (mainly wedding cakes) and recently unusual jams - adding spices and herb - and preserves and cheese making