WW Southwestern Chicken Soup
photo by Bonnie G #2
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 10mins
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, medium, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 29 ounces reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 14 1⁄2 ounces canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 avocado, medium, pitted, peeled, and cut into 8 slices
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, leaves
- 1. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and black pepper. Add chicken to pot and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- 2. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pot. Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, and cumin and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Stir in broth, tomatoes, and corn. Cover and bring to boil.
- 3. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in chicken and cook just until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice.
- 4. Ladle soup evenly into 4 bowls. Top each with 2 slices avocado and sprinkle evenly with cilantro.
- 5. Serving size: 1¾ cups soup with 2 slices avocado.
- Make a double batch of the soup and cover and refrigerate up to 4 days or freeze up to 3 months.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>As of 6-14-2013 DH will be completing his tour in Trinidad, which has been a wonderful adventure; and returning home to Dayton, WA. We'll miss all our friends and time there, but looking forward to enjoying home life on the ranch for awhile, while we see what the next adventure might bring.</p> 8726453"