Ww Beef and Vegetable Cheese Casserole
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- cooking spray (1 spray)
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced (es)
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 12 ounces raw lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- 2 cups fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 1 tablespoon oregano or 1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon table salt (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 500ºF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and spread tomatoes and zucchini over sheet. Roast vegetables for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanhwile, in a large, nonstick skillet, sauté beef, onion and garlic until beef is browned. Stir in tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Spread beef mixture in a large, shallow baking dish (3 quart or 9 X 13-inches) and top with roasted vegetables. Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF.
- Whisk together cottage cheese, egg yolk, cheddar cheese, herbs, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Spoon over roasted vegetables and smooth with a rubber spatula.
- Bake until very hot and bubbling around edges, about 35 minutes. Cut into six equal pieces and serve immediately. (Note: If preparing casserole in advance and freezing it, make sure to thaw it completely in the refrigerator before baking it. Increase the baking time by 5 to 10 minutes.).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!