Wild Rice Soup
photo by Chef Cameo
- Ready In:
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups wild rice, cooked
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup ham, minced
- 1⁄3 cup carrot, shredded
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine (optional)
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- Melt butter in a saucepan.
- Saute onion until tender.
- Blend in flour.
- Gradually stir in broth.
- Cook, stirring constantly until mix boils.
- Allow to boil 1 minute.
- Stir in cooked wild rice, salt, ham, carrot and almonds.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Blend in half& half (milk can work too) and sherry (optional).
- Heat to serving temperature.
- Sprinkle parsley on top and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Yum! Rich, smooth and delicious. Even my picky eater enjoyed this one. I enjoyed having it come together so quickly as well. I used frozen chopped onion, but next time I'd mince up some fresh onion, as the onions in mine were too big. I used vegetable broth and left out the ham in the vegetarian servings, but added it at the end to the others.
Oh my. I made this for our very cold and snowy Christmas Eve in Wisconsin. Served along side ham & swiss and mushroom and swiss sandwiches. It was sooo easy and sooo delicious. I couldn't believe that such simple ingredients came together to make an absolutely delicious soup. I did not serve with the slivered almonds but with chives at the table. It was a wonderul, warm and a perfect "star meal" for our Christmas Eve Dinner. Thank you for making my Christmas Eve so memorable. We can't wait to eat the left overs because I decided not to pack this soup with the usual leftover bags for my guests. Ho-Ho
This soup was EXCELLENT! Perhaps even the best soup I've ever had. We used Uncle Ben's Original Recipe Wild Rice when we made the soup and I think that made all the difference. It added the flavor the other people seems to think it was lacking. I shall certainly be making this soup over and over again!
see 4 more reviews