Wild Rice and Barley Pilaf With Dried Fruit
photo by Artandkitchen
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 cups vegetable broth or 2 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup wild rice
- 1⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon Smart Balance butter spread
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup leek, green parts (or 2 c green and white, omit onion)
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries (cherry flavored are great!)
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Bring broth and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add wild rice and barley. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Let stand 15 minutes; fluff with a fork.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat.
- Add leek, celery, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and sage; cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Stir in cooked rice, cranberries, and walnuts; cook until thoroughly heated.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Yumm! for this recipe I used barley (I did not get the pearl one), wild rice mix.<br/>As I did not have celery root I used one big carrot and celery green fresh from the garden that I added at the last moment.<br/>I prepared the double quanty for us 4.<br/>Thanks a lot for your recipe and the perfect instructions for the cooking time!