Whoopie Pies With 7 Minute Frosting
photo by Cupcake-Princess
- Ready In:
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup caster sugar (superfine)
- 2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup dutch process cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease two large cookie sheets or line 2 baking sheets with parchment and set aside.
- In a large bowl with mixer at medium speed sugar and vegetable oil. Gradually beat in beat egg and continue beating until pale yellow in color. In another bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a measuring cup combine milk and vanilla. Add flour and milk mixtures alternately to eggs and sugar, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Drop by tablespoons onto cookie sheet. These will spread a lot, so make 6 cakes per sheet at a time. Bake about 5 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched with finger. Remove to wire racks to cool. When cool, use filling and two cakes to make sandwiches.
- Place sugar, cream of tartar, salt, water, and egg whites in the top of a double boiler. Beat with a hand held electric mixer for 1 minute. Place pan over boiling water, being sure that boiling water does not touch the bottom of the top pan. (If this happens, it could cause your frosting to become grainy). Beat constantly on high speed with electric mixer for 7 minutes. Beat in vanilla.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Yum! These were so good. I've been looking for the perfect whoopie pie recipe for a while, and these are it. The filling is just like marshmallow cream. I really liked how the filling was totally homemade and did'nt use shortening or storebought marshmallow cream in it. Thanks you so much for the great recipe!