Wholemeal (Wholewheat) Chocolate Chip Cookies
These are lovely soft cookies. I adapted a recipe to use wholemeal flour in an effort to fool myself that these are healthy.(Elle Cuisine Aust. Oct 2000). You may use normal self-raising flour if you prefer. Australian measurements used.
- Ready In:
- 150 g unsalted butter, softened
- 50 g sugar
- 150 g brown sugar
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 115 dark chocolate, roughly chopped (good quality)
- 30 g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 225 g wholemeal self-rising flour
- 35 g plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C., 350 deg F. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick paper.
- Place butter in mixing bowl then beat with electric mixer until smooth.
- Gradually add both sugars and beat until mix is pale and creamy.
- Add egg and vanilla. Continue to beat until well combined.
- Stir through the chocolate and walnuts.
- Stir in both flours and the salt. When this becomes difficult finish this using your (washed) hands.
- Using 2 tablespoons of mix, roll into ball and place on tray. Repeat with remaining mix. Leave a 5cm gap between cookies as these spread quite a bit. Gently flatten top of balls with fingers (don't press too flat).
- Bake in oven for approximately 14 minutes or until light golden & cooked through.
- Remove from oven and rest on baking trays for 2 minutes to harden. Transfer to wire rack to cool.