Whole Wheat With Honey (Pane Integrale Con Miele)
- Ready In:
- 48hrs 40mins
1 round loaf
- STARTER, stir the yeast into the water, let stand until creamy, 10 minutes.
- Stir in the flour with 70 to 100 strokes of a wooden spoon.
- Let rise covered 6 to 24 hours.
- Measure 1/4 cup (50 g) for each loaf.
- DOUGH (1 loaf), stir the yeast and honey into 1/4 cup water, let stand 10 minutes.
- Chop the starter into small pieces and add to the dissolved yeast.
- Pour in the remaining 1 1/4 c water and squeeze the starter between your fingers until the starter is in little shreds and the water is chalky.
- Mix the flour and salt and stir 1 cup at a time into the yeast mixture until the dough comes together.
- Knead on a floured surface until the dough is fairly smooth and has lost most of its stickiness, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled, about 2 hours.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and shape into a round loaf without punching the dough down.
- Place loaf on a lightly oiled baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Cover with wax paper or a towel or lightly oil the top of the loaf and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let rise until doubled, 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Bake 10 minutes, spraying every 3 minutes with water.
- Reduce the heat to 400°F and bake 25 minutes longer.
- Cool completely on rack.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!