Whole Wheat Oatmeal and Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup butter (I use Crisco) or 3/4 cup shortening (I use Crisco)
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs (I use Ener-G egg replacer)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup chocolate chips (Tropical Source chocolate chips for vegans)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Use a mixer to beat butter/shortening in a large mixing bowl; add sugars, baking powder and baking soda, and blend well.
- Add eggs (or egg replacer) and vanilla, mixing until combined.
- Finally, mix in the flour, and gradually add the oatmeal and lastly the chocolate chips.
- If the mixture forms individual dry clumps, try adding a little water (I had that problem when I used egg replacer).
- Roll dough into tablespoon-sized balls, and place about 2-inches apart on a cookie sheet (I highly recommend the insulated sheets, or use two sheets layered on top of each other with the cookies on the top sheet).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the tops are brown.
- Let sit for several minutes before removing to cool on a wire rack.
Join The Conversation
Chewy oatmeal cookie with a burst of chocolate chip. Healthy and tasty too! I used Ghirardelli chocolate chips, 1/2 cup butter and 1/4 cup Crisco vegetable shortening. They baked for about 12 min as I did not hear the timer go off. Oatmeal part is a bit dry but the chocolate makes up for that. these go great with milk.
Even my neighbor's child licked his lips and asked me for more days afterwards. I took the advice of others and added 1/2 c milk, 1 tsp of cinnamon, 1 tsp kosher salt. Also put walnuts, raisins and choc chips. The 2nd time I added diced almond slivers, diced prunes, diced apricots and choc chips...to total 1 cup of all of the 'extras'. Used only 1/3 c white sugar the 2nd time 'cause I thought it was a little too sweet for my boys the first time ;) (haven't tried batch #2 yet)