Whole Wheat Gingerbread Cookies
photo by Mary Jenny
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed golden yellow sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon great value artificial vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon iodized sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups great value whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups great value all-purpose white flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons great value baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons great value baking soda
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses, egg, vanilla, and salt until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients; add to wet ingredients and mix until well blended and dough forms. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before handling. If chilled overnight, allow the dough to warm up slightly or it may crack when it is rolled out.
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C.) Line two baking trays with parchment paper, set aside. Divide dough into 4 pieces; roll out one at a time keeping the remaining dough refrigerated.
- Roll dough to ¼ inch (½ cm) thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut into desired shapes using floured cookie cutters. Carefully transfer to prepared baking trays.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes, rotating trays top to bottom halfway through, or until cookies are set. Cool 1-2 minutes on the tray then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.
- Tips: Make a simple Royal Icing to decorate. It will harden overnight, making the cookies stackable for storage. Lightly whisk together 1 egg white and ¼ tsp (1 mL) lemon juice. Gradually beat in 1 ½ - 2 ½ cups (375-625 mL) of icing sugar to desired consistency. Tint using food colouring, then pipe onto cookies using a zipper storage bag with the corner snipped off. Allow the icing to dry overnight before storing in an airtight container.
- More cookie recipes are available at www.walmart.ca/recipecentre.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!