Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls
photo by SoupCookie
- Ready In:
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour, sifted
- 1 cup whole wheat flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed*
- 1 cup buttermilk, cold**
- 1⁄2 cup reduced fat margarine, room temp
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 chai tea bag
- Notes: *You can use coconut oil; cube it first and stick it in the fridge till it's cold, **To make butter milk, add a cap full of vinegar to your cup of milk; stir n let sit for a few minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450F, and grease a 12 cup muffin tin; set aside.
- Sift both flours (even if it's already pre-sifted), baking soda and baking powder into a large bowl. Cut in butter until the flour mix is crumbly and no large chunks remain.
- Add milk and mix it quickly until the dough begins pulling together. Sprinkle some flour on your work space, turn out dough and knead for a few SECONDS. Don't over knead!
- Roll out dough into a rectangle, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Empty contents of chai tea bag into a bowl, use a fork to beat it together with the softened margarine, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Spread mixture onto dough, then roll up into a long tube (roll from the long side of the dough), and pinch dough to stop rolls from undoing! Cut into 1 inch sections, and put into prepared muffin tin. Bake for 12 minutes, cool slightly and enjoy!
- You can add or decrease the spices and sugar to your preference :).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Why "SoupCookie"? My cousin Ryan use to come to my house after school sometimes and was *always* hungry! So he used to make his version of chocolate chip cookies and I can't remember what he did or didn't do right but the cookies never failed to come out flat and doughy and gooey. We'd put them in a bowl with milk and eat it with a spoon.....sooooo good! To this very day his recipe has not been deciphered ;) <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">