Whole Wheat Chocolate Pan Cake
photo by NolaC
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350º F.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- In a smal bowl, mix oil, vinegar, water and vanilla.
- Stir water mixture into flour mixture with spoon about 1 minute or until well blended.
- Pour into greased 9X13 inch pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Spoon hot chocolate frosting on top of warm cake.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and chocolate chips. Stir in milk and powdered sugar. Whisk until no lumps remain in mixture.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I found this recipe extremely easy and convenient. Ingredients you always have in the house and inexpensive because there are no eggs. I substituted the cup of water for half a cup of water & half a cup of milk, to make it richer. It baked beautifully, I did use baking strips so it came out perfectly flat, and turned out of the pan perfectly.<br/>Beautiful rich frosting, the cake looks fantastic. Can't eat it until tomorrow (birthday cake) but I will post again on taste. Great recipe but the proof is in the eating !!!<br/><br/>Ok, I'm back. This cake (as in the eating) went down very well with all the birthday guests. It does have a slightly more grainy texture than cake made with white (and processed) flour but it has a rich chocolatey taste and the frosting is a lovely (not sweet) addition. Easy to make, will definitely make again !