Whole Wheat Bread
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 10mins
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 4 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Add 4 1/2 tsp yeast to 3/4 cup water.
- Add 1 cup of whole wheat flour and mix vigorously.
- Cover bowl with plastic and let sit for 45 minutes to proof.
- When sponge is ready, uncover bowl and add the 1 1/2 cups of warm water and 2 cups of whole wheat flour . Stir in very well.
- Now add the 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten, 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 1/3 cup honey and 1 tablespoon salt. Mix these in well. Now start adding the remaining flour about 1/2 cup at a time. (I use my KitchenAid for this).
- Knead dough in mixer for 10 minutes or 20-30 minutes by hand. Take a break half-way through if you're hand kneading and let dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Place dough into large greased bowl (preferably not metal) and cover with plastic. Leave the dough to rise in a warm place for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until it doubles in size.
- Punch dough down, divide dough, and reshape into loaves. Place into greased 9x5 bread pans, cover with plastic and allow to rise again.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Make egg wash by whisking egg and water together in small bowl.
- Brush egg wash over tops of loaves and then place in the oven to bake for 40 minutes.
- To test for doneness, pull the loaf out of the pan and tap the bottom with a wooden handle. It should have a hollow sound.
- Cool these for at least an hour before slicing. If you don't wait that long the structure of the bread will not support a knife and will mush down and stay permanently mushed when you're done mangling it. Try to be patient.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation