- Ready In:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixting bowl.
- Cut in the oil with a fork or pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Using a fork, stir in just enough of the milk so that the dry ingredients are moistened and the dough comes together.
- (Too much milk will make the dough sticky; too little will make the biscuits dry.) Gather the dough in a ball and turn it out onto a lightly floured work surface.
- Knead it gently 20 to 25 times.
- Then smooth it into a ball.
- Roll or pat the dough into a 1/2-inch thick round and cut it with a floured 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter or the rim of a glass.
- Push the center straight down into the dough without twisting it.
- Reroll and recut the scraps of dough.
- Place the biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet about an inch apart for crusty sides or touching for soft sides.
- Bake on the center shelf of the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the bottoms are lightly browned.
- Do not overbake.
- Serve hot or warm.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!