Whole Foods Hot Chocolate Mix (with 3 Options)
This cocoa mix does not use non-dairy creamer as most others. This is a big plus for those who do not usually use creamers. This mix can be made into spiced cocoa mix and also Java mix.
- Ready In:
Traditional cocoa mix
- 1 cup powdered milk
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (vanilla or normal)
- 1 pinch salt
Spiced cocoa mix
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Java cocoa mix
- 1 -2 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- Mix all the ingredients in the Traditional cocoa mix.
- I give everything a whizz in the food processor to combine well.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Spiced cocoa mix: To one recipe of the traditional mix, add the spices and mix.
- Enjoy a warming spiced cocoa!
- Java Cocoa: To one recipe of traditional mix, mix in instant coffee powder.
- To make hot cocoa, place 1/4 cup of mix in a mug.
- Stir in 1 cup of boiling hot water.
- Hot mint Cocoa: Steep one mint tea bag in a cup of hot traditional cocoa.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Pretty good recipe! I did notice that the hot chocolate I buy from WF (365 brand) also has vanilla flavoring, so I added powdered vanilla and it tasted much better and closer to the store-bought mix. I'm making vanilla sugar and plan to use that in my next batch to compare. This is a keeper. Thanks for posting!
I usually make hot cocoa from scratch, but may like this recipe even more. It's certainly convenient to have on hand. We do use fat free milk instead of water. After reading the ingredients, there's no way I would buy commercial hot cocoa mix for my children. Have purchased the simply cocoa or organic versions which are available, and they're ridiculously expensive. Just bought the ingredients to make another big batch of the plain version. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
I love the flavour of this mix. I usually make the Java Cocoa Mix and add cinnamon. I also like the fact that it doesn't use coffee creamer as an ingredient.<br/>Edit 11/17/2014 - I'll sometimes increase the cocoa powder to 1/3 cup. I preferring whizzing the mix in my blender. It seems to make a finer powder than my food processor does.
Thank goodness I found this recipe! I cringe when I think of non-dairy creamer and even more when I read the ingredients on the store bought box of hot cocoa mix, so this recipe is exactly what I needed. Super easy and even better when I ran it through the food processor (can also use a blender). I'll be making this again.