Whole Foods Chickpea Masala
This is a wonderful recipe from Whole Foods Market. Recipe can be cut down without a problem.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, to taste
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 3 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained (garbanzo beans)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt, to taste
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)
- First, in a large, nonreactive heavy skillet or saute pan, heat oil over med. heat.
- Add onions and saute approx. 2 mins, until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and stir in garlic, ginger, jalapenos, curry powder, garam masala, and tomato paste.
- Return to heat and stir in water.
- When everything is mixed thoroughly, stir in chickpeas and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning, adding salt if necessary.
- You can serve this immediately, but the flavors are much more enhanced if you allow it to sit for a few hours before you reheat it to just below a simmer and then serve over rice.
- To serve, place 1/2c cooked rice in a bowl and ladle 1 cup chickpea mixture over rice.
- Garnish with cilatro if you wish.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was absolutely wonderful! We loved it that night and the next day... this will be one of my staples. I would have taken a picture, but it was so ugly that I was afraid that it would make people turn away. Maybe when I make it again, I can make it look pretty, and will photograph it then. I made the chickpeas from dried chickpeas, and did not use cilantro, but Italian parsley instead. Thanks so much for such a wonderful recipe!1Reply
see 3 more