White Chocolate-Raspberry Tart, With Almonds and Pistachios
- Ready In:
- 1hr 55mins
For the tart crust
- 2 cups plain flour (all-purpose flour)
- 3⁄4 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar (fine granulated)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 -4 tablespoons cold water
- 1 lb good quality white chocolate, broken into pieces
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups fresh raspberries, must be fresh, not frozen
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted pistachios, toasted and roughly chopped
- icing sugar, for dusting (powdered sugar)
- You will need a tart pan with a removable bottom that has been lined with baking parchment.
- Roast the nuts by popping them into a medium oven for 10 minutes or so, until they are just going brown - keep a close eye on them. Put to one side.
- For the tart crust, put the flour, sugar and butter into a food processor and pulse until you have fine crumbs. Add the egg and 2 tablespoons of the water and pulse until a dough ball starts to come together, add the rest of the water gradually until you have a smooth dough. (you may need more or less water).
- Shape the dough into a disk, pop into a plastic bag and let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- When rested, place the dough onto a floured surface and roll it out to fit the tart pan. Trim excess pastry and chill for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350ºF while the pastry is chilling. After removing the case from the fridge, pop a piece of foil or baking parchment onto the crust and fill with baking beans or pie weights. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, edges should be just tuning brown, remove the weights and cook for 5-10 minutes more, or until golden. Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
For the tart filling:
- Spread the raspberries evenly over the tart crust, sprinkle half the almonds and pistachios over the raspberries.
- In a double boiler, over a gentle heat, melt the chocolate and butter. Stir gently and remove from heat, add the vanilla/almond extract and the cream and stir gently until mixed.
- Pour the chocolate cream over the raspberries and nuts, work quickly as the chocolate will begin to set, smooth top with a spatula or spoon.
- Immediately sprinkle with remaining nuts.
- Refrigerate for 4-5 hours and remove from fridge 30 minutes before serving, dust with icing sugar.
- Notes: If you prefer you can omit the pistachios and another variation is to replace the raspberries with blueberries, although I have not tried it this way. You must use fresh fruit, not frozen. Time does not include refrigeration time.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation