White Chicken Chili
This is such a GOOD recipe! I will warn you that, by itself, it isn't a very pretty dish but the optional add-ins are what make it look REALLY appealing!
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 30mins
- 1 lb great northern bean
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 medium onions, chopped (divided)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cooked and chopped (about 4 cups)
- Soak beans overnight or at least 4 hours prior to cooking.
- Combine beans, chicken broth, garlic and half of the onions in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until beans are very soft, 3 hours or more.
- Add more chicken broth if necessary. In a skillet, sauté remaining onions in oil until tender. Add chilies and seasonings and mix thoroughly. Add to bean mixture. Add the cooked chicken and continue to simmer 1 hour.
- Serve topped with the cheese, tomatoes, guacamole, tortilla chips, etc -- .
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This soup really hit the spot on a cold Wisconsin afternoon. I stirred in a can of Rotel with chilies and served with a handful of shredded Monterey jack cheese and a dollop of sour cream- Oh so good! I loved the heat from the cayenne and the smokiness of the cumin. I thought maybe sliced green onion would be pretty as a garnish. This was so easy to make as I keep left over diced chicken in the freezer. Thanks for a keeper! Made for PAC Spring 2011.