White Cheddar Green Chili Mashed Potatoes
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
More work than your average mashed potatoes, but so worth it. The recipe was given to us by a family at a daycare where I used to work. They actually won a morning show recipe contest with it and I can understand why.
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 7 ounces chopped green chilies, drained
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup milk, warmed
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, grated
- In large pot of boiling, salted water cook potatoes and garlic until tender. Drain.
- In medium skillet over medium heat, saute bacon until crisp. Drain.
- In 2 t drippings saute onion until softened. Stir in green chilis. Cook 1 minute. Set aside.
- Mash potatoes. Beat in butter. Beat in milk and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Fold in green chili mixture and bacon.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
One word...WOWZA! I can't believe this hasn't gotten more than one review! I was looking for a different take on mashed potatoes to serve along side a meatloaf I had made for dinner last night. I am so glad I chose this to make! The slight spiciness of the chili's was offset by the tangy creaminess of the cheese, and the onions and garlic were fantastic compliments as well! I had three servings myself! I could make a meal out of these alone! Here's hoping you get a thousand more five star reviews for this recipe! It truly deserves it!3Reply
My husband is not a fan of mashed potatoes. Usually, if I want to serve mashed potatoes with a meal, I have to make sure that all of the other dishes are things that he loves. That said, these won him over before he even tasted them. He stood in the kitchen watching me prep this dish. Bacon, garlic, onions, green chiles...yum. I brought out the cheese and he said that I didn't need to make anything else. The potatoes looked like more than enough for dinner. LOL I did serve these as a side with some leftover baked ham and fresh steamed green beans. Honestly, they WERE meal enough on their own. We will make these again for sure.1Reply