White Bean & Sausage Rigatoni
From BHG Dinnertime Express
- Ready In:
- 8 ounces dried rigatoni pasta
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans or (15 ounce) can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 6 ounces cooked smoked turkey sausage, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1⁄3 cup snipped fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup shaved asiago cheese (1 oz.) or 1/4 cup finely shredded asiago cheese (1 oz.)
- Cook pasta according to package directions (do not use salt); drain. Return pasta to saucepan.
- In a large saucepan, combine beans, tomatoes, and sausage; heat through. Add bean mixture and basil to pasta; gently toss. Sprinkle with cheese.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
DH and I really enjoyed this. I made it 2 hours ahead of time and used the crockpot to keep moist & hot. I did have to make some minor substitutions because I didn't have the exact ingredients. I browned the sausage slices, used great northern beans, diced tomatoes w/ garlic, added 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasonings, sauteed diced onions & celery in EVOO > to make it as close to stewed tomatoes as possible, 1 t dried basil, parmesan cheese and finally Campanelle pasta (looks like a flower bud). I think I stayed pretty true to the recipe even with the substitutions. Thanks for posting this tasty & healthy recipe. This will be added to our repertoire!Reply
Hmmm, I must say we weren't crazy about this. I didn't feel there was enough sauce to coat the rigatoni. The sauce itself seemed to be missing something, though I'm not able to put my finger on it. Perhaps with a bit more experimenting we could tweak it to be more to our liking. I do find the beans and turkey sausage an appealing factor, and the herbs are nice. It also gets points for being so quick to fix!Reply