White Bean Chicken Chili
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 4mins
1 potful !!
- 4 chicken breasts, whole, all visible fat removed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Sazon Goya seasoning
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (less if you can't tolerate spicy foods!)
- 1 (4 ounce) can ancho chilies (green chilies, chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup jalapeno, chopped, optional (pickeled, I added a 1/4 cup of the juice for an extra kick)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can butter beans, with juice (or any other white bean)
- 4 cups hot water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- low-fat cheese (optional)
- nonfat sour cream (optional)
- Clean and wash chicken breasts. Season with Paprika, Sazon & Abodo. Let sit for 20 minutes while you prepare everything else.
- In a soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Cook Chicken Breasts thoroughly, approximately 6-8 minutes on each side. Don't let them get too brown, you'll be shredding them later! Once cooked, remove from pot and set aside to cool.
- In the same pot, still over medium heat, add Cooking Wine to deglaze the pot. Add Onion, Garlic and Ginger, saute until the Onions are translucent.'.
- Add Cumin, Oregano, and Cayenne Pepper to the mix and saute for about 3-5 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add Chopped Green Chillies & Jalapenos, with juice (if using) and saute for another 3-5 minutes, 2 minutes if not using Jalapenos.
- Add Beans, 3 Cups of Hot Water and the Boullion Cubes, increase heat, bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 45 minutes.
- While that's simmering, shred the Chicken Breasts.
- After 45 minutes, add shredded chicken to the mixture along with the remaining 1 cup of water. Let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt & pepper, if needed.
- Serve chili in desired serving ware & top with a dallop of fat-free sour cream and cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!