Whiskey Smoked Prime Rib
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 10mins
- 5 lbs standing rib roast
- 12 -15 lbs charcoal, briquettes
- 2 lbs wood chips (hickory preferred)
- 2 cups Bourbon
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Prepare 3/4 of the charcoal in smoker. Reserve the rest for keeping your heat at 225 to 250 degrees.
- Soak the wood chips in the water and bourbon.
- Rub roast with 5 dry seasonings and let it rest at room temperature until the smoker comes to heat.
- Place roast in smoker and close the lid.
- Toss a few handfulls of chips on the fire after about 10 minutes cooking time.
- Check roast's temperature every 50 minutes or so. (Using a remote thermometer with a lead is an even better idea. That way your heat will remain steady during your cooking time.).
- Keep close watch on the smoker's thermometer. Don't let the temp, vary more than 10 degrees up or down.
- Be sure to keep smoke flowing by adding chips as needed.
- It takes about 8 hours for the roast to reach an internal temperature of 140 to 145 degrees.
- Remove cooked roast from smoker and allow it to rest for 15 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Mother of 4, grandmother of 3.... <br /> <br />One of my favorite authors is Kipling, he had a way with words... <br />...when the moon gets up and night comes, he is the Cat that walks by himself, and all places are alike to him.... <br />Rudyard Kipling</p>