Whiskey Butter Onions
photo by Bergy
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, thickly sliced
- 3 slices red onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons good-quality whiskey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a small skillet saute onions in the butter until slightly softened (but not too limp).
- Add thyme, then stir in the whiskey and Worcestershire Sauce.
- Increase heat to brown onions a bit and cook to the doneness you like (I like them to still be a little on the crisp side; that's also why I slice them on the thicker side).
- Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a grand slam! I usually do a blue cheese cream caramilized onion topping on steak but didn’t have blue cheese so looked up a whisky variant. This is great! I used olive oil instead of butter and would use either next time. I also put a bit of sugar in when I caramalize onions which balanced well with the salt. The only thing I’d do different next time is double the recipe!
I made these the other night & put them in fried potatoes & let me tell ya....AWSEOME!! I only used sweet onions because that is all I had & I put some garlic powder in the skillet when I sauted the onions. I will definately be using them again. I think I am going to put them in meatloaf. Thanks for the excellent post Angie!
see 3 more reviews