Western Macaroni and Cheese Dinner
Can't remember if I got this off the Mac 'N Cheese box or where. It's a great way to change up plain old mac 'N cheese. Comfort food! If you have leftover fresh broccoli stems, chop them up and drop them in the boiling water with the noodles. I adjusted the recipe a bit.
- Ready In:
- 1 (7 1/4 ounce) box prepared macaroni and cheese (pref. organic or natural)
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 lb ground turkey or 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups corn, thawed if frozen
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare Macaroni & Cheese as package directs, adding fresh chopped broccoli, if using, in with the noodles.
- In a large ovenproof skillet (cast iron), brown meat, celery, green pepper and onion; cook until tender. Drain grease.
- Stir in corn, tomato paste, water, garlic salt, salt (if using) and pepper. Add noodle dinner; mix well.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and bake at 350° F, 15 to 20 minute Or in microwave oven for 8 to 10 minute.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I had this recipe from the box of mac&cheese that I saved from years ago...Yet I lost it and just Googled it and it popped-up!! My kids loved this dish for many years!!! I would add crushed Ritz Crackers and Shredded Cheese to the topping in the Casserole Dish. Perfect with a Garden Salad or Green Beans----Of course I did omit the Corn bc kids didn't want it---But it was a good meal for everyone!!!Reply
Thank you WI Cheesehead, this was exactly the recipe I was looking for. And, yes, it did originally come as a recipe on the side of a box of mac 'n cheese which is probably why I lost the little thing in the first place.<br/>I like to make it with a regular 16 oz box of macaroni and just double the cheese. But that's me.Reply
My family enjoyed this .I was only so so on it. It sure makes a box of mac n cheese go a long way. I used ground beef, red peppers and ketchup ( was out of tomato paste)also used mozza and cheddar cheese. I did taste testing before putting in a casserole and found it bland so added about 1/4 cup of salsa verde and a very big dash of chilpolte chili powder. It needs extra seasoning but as is would be good for kids who don't like spices etc. Next time I think I will add some cubed cheese to the mix.I made this for the "My 3 chefs" fall 2008 contestReply