- Ready In:
- Sift dry ingredients together in a bowl and cut in shortening finely. Add fruit, then eggs mixed with milk to make a stiff dough. (I ended up using my hands to get it to combine.)
- Roll to 1/4-inch thickness on a floured surface. (It is more convenient to roll out half the dough at a time.) Cut out rounds with a sharp two-inch cookie cutter.
- Bake on a heated griddle on low heat, or an electric fry pan set at 250F for 8 to 10 minutes. When golden brown on one side, turn and bake second side until golden.
- Serve hot with butter as a tea cake or serve cold. Store in a covered container.
- NOTE: Shortening is satisfactory in this recipe but butter or hard margarine gives a richer flavour and colour. (I used hard margarine.) I estimated two as a serving. (Don't think you'll stop with two!).
- Makes about 4 1/2 dozen.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!