Weekday Black Beans and Rice
photo by PaulaG
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb andouille sausage, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup rice, cooked according to package directions
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add sausage; cook until just beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add celery and onion; cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook until softened, 1 minute.
- Stir in beans, beef broth, chicken broth, thyme, red pepper flakes, bay leaf, mace, salt and black pepper to taste; increase heat to medium-high, heat just to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer; cook until flavors come together, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro and green onions and serve over rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is the most amazing recipe ever. We make it at our house at least 2-3 times per month. I use the sausage in a tube as opposed to andouille sausage and overcook the celery so it soaks up all of the flavors. I have probably made this recipe over 100 times since I first found it online years and years ago and it really is the absolute best. I kept meaning to get on here and comment, so now I finally did. Thanks!