- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 grated lemon peel
- 1⁄4 ounce fast rising yeast
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 4 eggs
- 6 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 2 tablespoons water, for glazing
- dried cranberries
- Mix yeast with warm water and 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Combine milk, butter, shortening, and sugar, in a saucepan and heat gently then set aside to cool.
- Place flour in a large bowl, make a well in the middle of the flour.
- Pour yeast mixture into the flour well, cover and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Add milk mixture to flour and mix all the ingredients together.
- Knead into a ball, dust with flour and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Roll dough and divide into 10 pieces to form into gingerbread men shaped Weckmänner.
- Place the Weckmänner on a large baking sheet covered with baking or wax paper, making sure to leave enough room between each shape.
- Let rise for a further 20 to 45 minutes.
- Brush with egg and water mixture, decorate with raisins and dried cranberries for the eyes and buttons.
- Bake at 325 to 350F for 10-15 minutes.
- *Note: A traditional Weckmann in Germany would have a clay pipe in his mouth.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!