Watermelon Burgers With Cheese
- Ready In:
- 1 small watermelon
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced
- salt and black pepper
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated or 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Heat a charcoal or gas grill to moderately high heat and put the rack about 4 inches from the flame.
- Cut the watermelon lengthwise, into halves or quarters, depending on the size of the melon. From each length, cut 1-1/2-inch-thick slices; remove the rind from each slice. If there are black seeds, use a fork to remove as many of them as you can without beating up the flesh too much.
- Mix the olive oil with the onion and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brush or rub the mixture all over the watermelon slices. Grill or broil for about 5 minutes on each side. The flesh should be lightly caramelized and dried out a bit. Sprinkle each slice with cheese, cover the grill and cook just until the cheese melts, about a minute. (Monterey Jack or Gruyere are a couple of other cheese choices.).
- Serve on buns, toast or hard rolls with the usual burger fixings.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!