photo by FLKeysJen
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 teaspoons wasabi powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger juice (fresh ginger grated and squeezed)
- 2 drops sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 lb dry sea scallops, washed and dried
- 2 cups wakame seaweed, salad (prepared seaweed salad available in Asain markets or at the Sushi baror make it Seaweed Salad)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Lightly oil sheet pan.
- Mix the cream ingredients together. Spread cream on one side of scallops then top with flakes. Place coated side down on pan and repeat on top side.
- Place in oven for 2-3 minutes. Turn on broiler to low.
- Carefully flip the scallops and broil till toasted. About 1-2 minutes. Be sure to watch constantly. Do not over cook.
- Serve over seaweed salad with pickled ginger.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
What a great idea! For us the panko crust got burned on top but the scallops were still not cooked inside. This is because we had probably the world's most enormous scallops and I think the time would be fine for normal sized ones. The wasabi/sesame flavor of the mayo is very tasty on its own but doesn't come through too much after cooking - we used it as a dipping sauce too which worked well. Even though we oiled the pan, the crust on the bottom completely came off and left the bare scallop. The crust on the top is very tasty but slips off too, leaving kind of a plain bare scallop; If we did this again we'd marinate the scallops so they are flavorful on their own and only put the panko on the top. Made for the Humble Soybean game.