Warm Springs Fried Bread
- Ready In:
- Combine dry ingredients; cut in butter.
- Add enough warm milk to make a soft dough, easy to handle.
- Knead on floured board until dough is very smooth and soft but elastic.
- Do not use a lot of extra flour, and don't overknead, 3-4 minutes.
- Divide dough into 6-8 balls and brush the tops with melted butter.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let stand 30-45 minutes.
- Pat out each ball into a round, 5 or 6 inches in diameter and 1/4 inch thick. Using your index finger, poke a hole through the middle of each round. (Allows middle to cook; will close up while frying.)
- Fry in 3" of oil/fat (preheated to 365 degrees). I use my electric fry pan, so I can fry two at a time.
- Dough should rise immediately to surface.
- Cook until brown on one side, turn, and brown on other side being careful to not pierce crust.
- Drain on absorbent paper and serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Minnesota, and actually like the winter more than summer! (Must have Siberian ancestors!) The main focus of my life is, and always has been, children. I've spent the majority of my life either educating myself about children, having and raising children, or working with children. I presently work in an elementary school with children that have emotional/behavioral difficulties, and have three daughters of my own. I also have four grandsons (one an extra gift that came when my daughter very wisely married his dad) and will become Grandma to the the 5th baby in June. This one a little girl! I can not wait!! I received so much joy being a mother that finding that much joy, and more, in being 'Grandma' has taken me by surprise. They are all the best gifts ever given to me. Whatever free time I have is spent with my nose in a book, surfing the web for new recipes, or with my wonderful friends, both online and "in person".