- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Put the first 7 ingredients in a heavy gauge saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Cook gently for 5 minutes and remove from heat and let cool until mixture is comfortably cool to your finger.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour 2 loaf pans.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Add them to the cooled sugar mixture, beat well.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Bake for 45 minutes or toothpick comes out of center clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes and then turn out on plate and cool completely.
Join The Conversation
this is one of my favorites and is the only type of cake that i will eat.my mother used to make this when i was a little boy.it was so good! moist and sweet and doesnt need frosting. she used to bake it in one of those 9 in round locking baking pans.dont remember what they call them.she let it sit for 3 days covered at room temp.the longer it sat the more moist it would become.she just never used the walnuts.YUMMY!! thankyou so much for posting this recipe :) you dont know how long it took for me to find this.