photo by JustJanS
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- For Bottom Layer mix ingredients and press into 9 X 13 pan greased with butter Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- For Top: Mix ingredients together and spread on top of cooled bottom layer.
- Bake 350 F for 25 minutes till golden brown.
- Let cool till set and cut into squares.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made these last night and even my husband, who doesn't exactly LOVE walnuts (or any nuts for that matter :)), agreed that it was delicious. I made a few changes though - I only had 1/2 cup of shredded walnut left over from Christmas so I substituted the other half with some chopped hazelnuts and chocolate chips (about 1/4 cup each). I also melted some chocolate and spread it on top of the chews when they were cool. Delicious! Thank you for this recipe, Valerie, I am sure I will make it again!
Update As these were so tasty I gave them another whirl. This time I increased the bottom layer recipe by 1/3. I also used my new early Xmas present - Kitchenaid Artisan - to mix them. Also, instead of my customary parchment paper I did grease the pan with butter, as the recipe says. This time the more generous bottom layer spread out easily to fill the pan. Delicious. Raised my review up to 5stars! My initial review: I had problems with this recipe. The bottom did not hold together well. will tweak next time.