Waikiki Banana Bars
photo by nclassroom
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lemon extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (About 2 medium bananas)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup of chopped nuts (whatever you like)
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream shortening and brown sugar.
- Add extracts and banana, beating well.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder; add to wet mixture.
- Stir in nuts.
- Pour into well-greased 11 X 7-inch baking pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- While still warm, cut into bars and remove from pan.
- Mix: 1/3 cup powdered sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon.
- Gently roll bars in mixture while slightly warm.
- Store in airtight container.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My husband loves these, but with shortening, white flour, and a whole cup of sugar they are NOT healthy! So I used canola oil, whole wheat flour, and 1/2 the sugar and they came out great! Didn't miss the extra sugar at all! Of course, if you're going more for taste than nutrition, these are especially good with streusel on top... :)
see 5 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Me and my boyfriend have been together for 11 years now. We live on 40 acres and have 6 dogs and 4 Tennessee Walkers. We both work a lot of hours so there is never enough time in a day to get everything done. I absolutely love the outdoors. I also enjoy lifting weights, reading and playing with all of my beautiful animals. I absolutely love, love and love to cook. I like to cook a variety of things and also like love to bake. I like to just get in the kitchen and experiment with different things. If something does not turn out for me such as pie crust or gravy I will keep trying until I can make it work. Only problem is, when I finally make it work it may not work again the time after that. It is fun though and I do consider myself a pretty good cook for the most part. I also love slow cooker recipes. Those are my most favorite in the winter months.