V's Southwestern Pasta Salad
- Ready In:
- 16 ounces rotini pasta
- 1⁄4 cup light olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne, to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon salsa, to taste
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole kernel corn (can, Frozen or Fresh)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, rough chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup black olives, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red onion
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- In a large bowl combine oil, vinegar, lime juice, cayenne, cumin, salt, garlic, dried cilantro and salsa.
- Stir in corn, beans, green pepper, red pepper, tomatoes, olives and 1/2 of the cilantro leaves. Spoon onto a platter and garnish with avocado and remaining cilantro. Serve chilled.
Join The Conversation
I'm writing this with the caveat that the salad hasn't completely cooled yet... but I absolutely LOVE the flavors. Husband and I are huge fans of anything southwestern anyway (I could feed him tacos every night and he'd be plump and happy). I didn't have the full amount of lime juice, so I used half lemon, half lime, with maybe a half a tsp of lime zest that I had saved. Much sadness that I didn't have an avocado, but the flavors stand for themselves, and I suppose I can do without that extra bit of fat THIS time. I used frozen corn flash cooked in the microwave (water + bowl + 5 mins :P). I might update my review tomorrow based on how much of the sauce is absorbed by the pasta. In the future I might double the citrus/spice sauce, depending on how it stands up overnight! Overall, awesome. Love it.
This recipe is just wonderful! We were making it for a catered event, so had to triple it. I did it the lazy way and tripled it in my head, and must of made a mistake on the amount of lime juice, as it turned out pretty sour. No worres! I just added a little sugar and it was amazing! Very different twist from the regular mayo basaed pasta salads, give this one a try!! :)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I don't think there's anything better than spending time with family and friends and enjoying delicious food together. I just love food. I love reading about food, writing about food, cooking food and.. not surprisingly, eating food. My latest passion is food-photography! I'm still learning a lot, but I'm trying to post photos with all my recipes and reviews. I read recipe books, magazines and food blogs like novels. I get such satisfaction when someone enjoys a meal or dessert that I have prepared. It is the biggest compliment to me when my family and friends rave about my cooking. There are so many terrific recipes on this site. If I'm looking for something, I'm sure to find it here. I do have stacks of my own favorite recipes which I am slowly but surely getting in my cookbooks here . I have had so many awesome reviews and fabulous photos taken of my recipes... I try to thank everyone personally .. I sincerely appreciate each and every review and or comment left. I know it takes time to photograph and upload photos - So I want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for finding and trying my recipes and taking the extra effort...