Vienna Cream Frosting (Better Than Cream!)
photo by Cabnolen
- Ready In:
- Beat the butter in a small bowl with an electric mixer. You need to beat it for a fair length of time -until it is as white as possible.
- Gradually beat in half of the sugar, all the milk and then the remaining sugar.
- If you would like the mixture thicker- add in some extra icing sugar one spoonful at a time until the consistency is right. If the mixture is too thick- gradually (and I mean gradually) add in some more liquid until the consistency is achieved.).
- To make it chocolate- add in 2 or 3 tablespoons of cocoa with the sugar and a little extra milk if required.
- Coffee- add 3 teaspoons of instant coffee in 2 tablespoons of hot water(omit the milk).
- Lemon- substitute lemon juice for the milk. You can also add in some lemon zest.
- orange- use orange juice in place of the milk.
- Different colours/flavours- add food colouring and flavours of your choice (in place of some liquid in the recipe).
- For pink I add some rosewater and a few drops of cochineal.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Like others said, this is the recipe my mother has always used, more or less, and that I use too. You can use vegetable shortening instead of butter for a white-white frosting, and when I do so I add a teaspoon or so of vanilla extract to give it some flavor. Come to think of it, I add vanilla when I use butter, too! Anyway, if your butter is soft but not melty and you add the milk gradually, it comes out great.