- Ready In:
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 small onion, finely minced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1⁄4 cup white balsamic vinegar or 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (4 oz.) or 1 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the broth in a medium saucepan until it simmers.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil and butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add in the onion and cook for 5 minutes, or until soft and fragrant.
- Add in the rice and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and cook, stirring until the liquid is nearly absorbed.
- Add the broth, 1/4 cup at a time, maintaining a slow simmer.
- Stir constantly and allow each addition of liquid to be absorbed before adding the next.
- The risotto will be done about 35 minutes after the vinegar is added.
- Taste the dish for texture; if the rice is soft, the cooking is complete.
- Otherwise, add another 1/4 cup water and continue to simmer/stir until the texture is right.
- Remove from heat; stir in the cheddar cheese, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!