Venison Vegetable Stew!
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Homesteaders and hunters the world over have made a multitude of variations of this dish. Here is my take on a nice Deer and Vegetable stew. Served best with fresh, fluffy homemade biscuits. That right there is some "Good Eatin'."
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 lbs ground deer meat (or 1 quart if home canned)
- 4 ounces margarine
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms (or 1 pint if home canned)
- 8 ounces snap peas
- 1 quart beef stock
- 6 medium carrots, scraped and cut (or 1 pint if home canned)
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut (or 1 pint if home canned)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups flour
- Melt margarine in a Dutch oven.
- Brown meat on all sides.
- Add mushrooms and onions, sautéing until barely browned.
- Add beef stock, vegetables, garlic, brown sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer slowly until everything is very tender, adding water to keep juice covering stew.
- When done, add flour to small bowl and enough water to make a smooth paste.
- Then add enough water to make the paste thin enough to pour.
- Pour into stew, while gently stirring.
- Heat enough to thicken the gravy and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION