Veggie Sandwiches A.k.a. Veggimiches
photo by CoffeeB
- Ready In:
- 4 4 slices squaw bread or 4 slices rye bread
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ranch dressing
- 2 -4 lettuce leaves
- 12 slices cucumbers
- 1⁄2 avocado, sliced
- 1 medium tomatoes, sliced or 4 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup alfalfa sprout
- cracked pepper
- Layer lettuce, cucumber, avocado, tomato, and alfalfa sprouts on 2 bread slices - the elements move around less when layered in that order. (For a more filling meal: add chicken, tuna, a meaty mushroom e.g. portobello, eggplant, or tofu at this point.).
- Mix mustard, Ranch, and pepper - can substitute favored mustard and dressing to taste, e.g. honey mustard, and increase amounts for more kick.
- Spread mustard mixture onto remaining 2 breadslices, complete the sandwiches, and enjoy your very healthy and refreshing meal! Feel free to add things, e.g. bell pepper, onions - this is just my perfect combination.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was so super yummy! I LOVE the combination of avocado and dijon mustard!! Just when I thought you couldn't make avocado any better, I tried this :). I used the veggies I had on hand, which were sliced mushrooms, cucumbers, garden tomatoes, a few slivers of onion and fresh spinach. I, too, skipped the ranch dressing based on personal taste. And...of course it's a veggimich. Everyone knows there is an "m" in "sammich" ;). Made for PAC Fall 2009.
I loved using a very hearty wheat bread, but I only used a heirloom tomato or just one good beef steak would of worked, I used a yellow heirloom which was very sweet and complimented the sprouts and cucumber. Ranch, NO way not on something this good. I made a parsley and tarragon aioli with with the dijon which I thought worked much better with the fresh flavors. I also used arugula to compliment the other flavors and give it a kick. But a good Bibb or Red Leaf would work fine. Romaine or Iceberg would definitely not work for this. I loved the avacado and I did add a few thin slices of red onion. Mostly because I had just 3-4 thin slices left which I wanted to use up, which again with the arugula gave it a bit of tang. But a very nice sandwich, Ranch, I leave for carrots and celery or wings. LOL. Very tasty
This is a very good sammy FuzzyK. I will admit it's a first for me putting avocado and/or alfalfa sprouts on a sammich. Very good in the flavor dept. the only thing I omitted was the ranch dressing. I also honey mustard, whole wheat bread and spinach leaves. Did add a touch of salt to the tomato slices. Thanks for sharing your favorite sammy!~ Made for HolidayTag.